Wednesday, May 28, 2008

John Ashdown Responds to NewsLeader Article of May 7, 2008

As the past secretary of the 12thStreet Neighbourhood Society I am extremely disturbed that I have been wrongly accused of, “… failure to file annual reports with the province” (“Society funds in trust,” New Westminster NewsLeader, May 7. 2008).

I was the Secretary of the 12th Street Neighbourhood Society from February 2006 until April of 2007. During that time I repeatedly advised the president of the 12th Street Neighbourhood Society, Jaimie McEvoy, that the Society was not in compliance with the BC Societies Act. I specifically advised Mr. McEvoy, in writing, in December of 2006 and again in January of 2007 of the serious issues that needed to be addressed. Specifically, that the Society had not held a proper Annual General Meeting, that the Society did not have proper financial statements and that the Society had not filed notice with the Registrar of Societies as is required by BC Law. I stated very clearly that the Society was now breaking the laws of the province of B.C.

In absolute frustration over these issues of non-compliance and other concerns, I resigned from the 12th Street Neighbourhood Society on the 12th of April 2007. I immediately turned over, to the president of the Society, Jaimie McEvoy, all of the Society’s records and documents in my possession. Interestingly, included in the material was the registration form which I instructed the treasurer to prepare a $25 cheque for the Registrar of Societies, and to have Chris Brasdshaw and Jaimie McEvoy sign and file it once the financial report was available. Once again, Jaimie McEvoy, the President of the Society, chose not to respond to the Registrar of Societies of BC and as a result the 12th Street Neighbourhood Society was dissolved.

I am a man of honour. If I make mistakes I am the first person to admit to them – and I have always accepted the consequences. Jaimie McEvoy must step forward and admit that he, as President of the 12th Street Neighbourhood Society, has not demonstrated the necessary leadership and that he has not served the Society well. Further, he and the directors who publicly blamed previous secretaries for the society’s downfall owe each of us and an immediate apology!

John Ashdown
former
Secretary
12th Street
Neighbourhood Society
New Westminster

No comments: