Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Steve McClurg weighs in on smoking in public places

I am pleased to see new smoking laws taking effect on March 31st. The legislation is long overdue, but better late than never. However, I am really disappointed to see the province leave a ban on smoking on patios up to local government. I had hoped to see such a ban evenly enforced across the province.

There is much discussion in New Westminster surrounding the Livable City Strategy. Should we tear down the parkade? Should we encapsulate the tracks along the waterfront? Should we construct a pier along the downtown? All of these are important questions to consider. However, wouldn't we also make the city more livable if we could sit on our public patios and not have to endure clouds of smoke?

If I am elected to city council in November, I will serve notice of motion to ban smoking on public patios. In the meantime, I hope all residents will urge council to move on this critical issue. Let's show leadership in New Westminster and lead the region into a healthier environment

Steve McClurg

No comments: